best commentaries on acts

best commentaries on acts

This Sunday, Lord willing, I will finish preaching through the book of Acts. I worship and serve as a pastor at Grace Fellowship Church in Toronto, Ontario, and am a co-founder of Cruciform Press. Acts - MacPhail's Mannscripts. "Acts" of the Holy Spirit: Preparing Our Hearts for God's Lessons. Others haven’t been widely distributed, so it is difficult to get enough information to aggregate. Ephesians. Keener is well-known for his Matthew commentaries. He was an Episcopalian priest (d. 2017). It. Nevertheless, a list based on aggregate reviews is likely to point you in the right direction to find the right resource for your purposes. This commentary is best for expository preachers, Bible college and seminary students, church elders and teachers, and experienced Bible readers. My daily, curated collection of Kindle deals for Christians. See more about the NIV Application Commentary series. John MacArthur; Ajith Fernando (NIVAC) Mid-Level. This commentary is best for expository preachers, Bible college and seminary students, church elders and teachers, and experienced Bible readers. Pt. With this second volume, eminent British biblical scholar C. K. Barrett completes his contribution to the prestigious ICC series. Today I have turned to the experts to find what they say about Acts, one of my favorite books of the Bible. The publisher notes that in the SRC series Scripture “is interpreted within the context of the world in which it was written and read.”, The Book of the ActsNew International Commentary on the New Testamentby F.F. In the more scholarly realm, we would recommend IVP's New Bible Commentary or Baker's The Baker Commentary on the … Hermeneia is designed for the serious student of the Bible.”, ActsIronside Expository Commentariesby H.A. He is Reformed. C.K. See best, series “vigorously pursues the goal of bringing to a wide audience the most important new ideas, the latest research findings, and the clearest possible analysis of the Bible.”. Acts 13 - IVP New Testament Commentaries . R. Kent Hughes is my top choice among Bible commentators. I. Howard Marshall has written many commentaries; his work on Acts is regarded as one of his finest. Holladay teaches at Emory University. 2 of 2. Here’s my short commentary on the commentaries I used. This series reads like printed sermons. • D.A. He was Reformed (d. 2011). A Commentary on Acts of the Apostles by J. W. McGarvey. Text, MP3 and video lessons and sermons in 50 languages. The Acts of the ApostlesPillar New Testament Commentaryby David G. Peterson. He was Methodist (d. 2011). Over the past couple of years I have focused on building a collection of commentaries that will include only the best volumes on each book of the Bible. Longenecker takes an evangelical approach to Scripture. Commentaries on Acts. Best Commentaries on Acts. The Acts of the Apostlesby James D.G. This means hundreds of hours of teaching time (probably well more than 1,500 hours). Witherington takes an evangelical approach to Scripture. Alcuin. Acts 6 Resources . Since we are on the Acts commentaries here, I think anyone who is a pastor and wants to prepare sermons on the Book of Acts should be able to use Bock and Polhill. Preaching Luke-Acts : PCT: 2000: Ringe, Sharon H. Luke : WeBC: 1995: Barcley, William B. F.F. Before we get to each individual book of the Bible, some people just want to buy a nice set of commentaries and be done with it. God's Word instructs people to seek wisdom, so whether you are looking for devotional aids, bible studies, or commentaries, I hope this website will be helpful to you. I expected to add David Peterson’s contribution to the Pillar New Testament Commentary to this list, but reviews were sparse (Amazon, Westminster Books). Carson: “offers many stimulating suggestions for the preacher”. This series reads like printed sermons. Fitzmyer takes a critical approach to Scripture. See more about the New American Commentary series.if(typeof __ez_fad_position != 'undefined'){__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-bestbiblecommentaries_com-leader-3-0')}; ActsSt. See more about the IVP New Testament Commentary series. (Amazon: Volume 1, Volume 2; Westminster Books: Volume 1) You may have better success with the one-volume abridgement. Updated: Thu, 03/19/2020 - 17:54 By admin. For those reasons and others I will never have a huge library. Web Page by John Chrysostom. Explore best commentaries on Acts. Stott takes an evangelical approach to Scripture. It is one of the three best commentaries in this series (along with Carson on Matthew and VanGemeren on the Psalms). Best Commentaries on Acts. Welcome to the online home of Tim Challies, blogger, author, and book reviewer. For aggregated reviews of Bible commentaries, see the website Best Commentaries. This video offers some helpful rules of thumb as it pertains to obtaining Bible Commentaries and making use of them in the study of God's word. The Commissioning . Sproul's personal favorite. There is near-unanimous praise for Ben Witherington’s socio-rhetorical approach and its suitability to the book of Acts. Paul puts these presbyters (and others in them) in mind of this, that they may not think it strange if they be thus neglected, and yet to go on in their work, and make the best shift they can to live; the less encouragement they have from men, the more they shall have from God. As an Amazon Affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases. Like the commentary on Matthew by Davies and Allison, this two-volume commentary on Acts in the ICC series is massive and technical. by Dr. Bob Utley, Professor of Hermeneutics: We are a non-profit Bible study ministry dedicated to empowering people to interpret the Bible for themselves. Joyce Baldwin — 1 & 2 Samuel (Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries, 1988). Doctor Luke. See more about the Bible Speaks Today commentary series. Acts 8 Resources. Still others may be outdated in relation to biblical scholarship or out of print and difficult to acquire. The Epistles of John. We have provided this method as a convenience to our users. When it comes to sermon-based commentaries, you probably won’t do better than Derek Thomas’ volume in the Reformed Expository Commentary series (Amazon, Westminster Books). Acts 2:1. Theology, Audience, and Purpose: Marshall takes an evangelical approach to Scripture. The Bible instructs Christians to seek wisdom (Prov. For eighteen of his fifty years of ministry, Dr. Ironside was pastor of the historic Moody Memorial Church in Chicago, Ill. ActsAncient Christian Commentary on Scriptureedited by Francis Martin. These Bible Commentaries are easy to read and understand. The publisher notes that “Dunn first takes the reader through questions of authorship, audience, date, purpose, and literary structure. Since I did all of that work, and since I continue to keep up with the project, I thought it might be helpful to share the recommendations. The distinctives of BST series are (1) “authors are committed to a serious study of the text in its own integrity,” (2) that “expositors should not be antiquarians, living only in the remote past” but suggest application for living, and (3) “each book is intended to be both readable in style and manageable in size.”. Earliest printing. commentaries to consider alternative views on difficult points. c. The “Top 10” list is reviewed annually. This volume is best for readers who can follow a technical commentary. I've put together a brief overview of some of the best Bible commentaries and commentators to help answer your questions and narrow down your search. Stott also wrote the Ephesians commentary in the same series, which is considered one of the best Ephesians commentaries. He is known for his Romans commentary in the WBC series, which is considered one of the best Romans commentaries. I am a follower of Jesus Christ, a husband to Aileen and a father to three children. A couple of commentators on the commentaries point out that Bruce is especially strong on the historical aspect of Acts. Commentaries for the book of Acts. Keener takes an evangelical approach to Scripture. Acts 22 Resources. He is a progressive dispensationalist. • Tom Schreiner: recommended; “an excellent and clear commentary”if(typeof __ez_fad_position != 'undefined'){__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-bestbiblecommentaries_com-box-4-0')}; Theology, Audience, and Purpose: Bock takes an evangelical approach to Scripture. Keith Mathison gives this one his highest recommendation saying, “Darrell Bock’s massive and outstanding two-volume commentary on the Gospel of Luke raised my expectations for his commentary on Acts in the same series. (Amazon, Westminster Books). Ezra. This series reads like printed sermons. Andrews Expositional Commentaryby R.C. We know that it happened at about noon (Acts 22:6). Parsons is Baptist. See more about the Reformed Expository Commentary series. Bible > Commentaries > Acts 1:8 Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. This commentary is best for expository preachers, Bible college and seminary students, church elders and teachers, and experienced Bible readers. Please also see Best Commentary Series: The Top 50. Jewish commentaries on the Bible are biblical commentaries of the Hebrew Bible (the Tanakh) from a Jewish perspective. Please see, • Keith Mathison: #4 ranked commentary on Acts; “a large amount of information in this commentary that is not found in others”. See more about the Expositor’s Bible Commentary series, original and revised. See best 1 Corinthians commentaries for more. In Luke 1:3, Luke called him ‘most excellent’. ActsAn Exegetical Commentary (four volumes)by Craig S. Keener, • D.A. He was Reformed (d. 2017). “With its book-by-book lists, reviews, and interviews, Best Bible Commentaries helps readers make well-informed decisions about the most useful tools for teaching the Bible in any ministry context.” Philip Graham Ryken, President of Wheaton College. To that end, the chapters that follow were adapted from a sermon series I preached at St. Andrews.”if(typeof __ez_fad_position != 'undefined'){__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-bestbiblecommentaries_com-netboard-2-0')}; The Acts of the ApostlesThe Anchor Yale Bible Commentariesby Joseph A. Fitzmyer, • Tom Schreiner: recommended; “a concise and clear commentary”. It is not intended to be the “final word” because of its limitations. if(typeof __ez_fad_position != 'undefined'){__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-bestbiblecommentaries_com-portrait-2-0')}; The publisher notes that the ICC series has “sought to bring together all the relevant aids to exegesis, linguistic and textual no less than archaeological, historical, literary and theological to help the reader understand the meaning of the books of the Old and New Testaments.”, ActsExpositor’s Bible Commentary Revisedby Richard Longenecker. For a full list of Acts commentaries with reviews, see below, but here is a quick glance at the Top 3 Acts commentaries:Top 3 Commentaries on the Book of ActsActs (BECNT) by Darrell Bock (link goes to Amazon using exact ISBN); evangelical pastors will love Bock’s clear explanations and exegetical insight; this volume is a companion to Bock’s Luke commentary in the same series, but can be used independently.Acts (PNTC) by David G. Peterson (link goes to Amazon using exact ISBN); Peterson offers less in-depth exegesis than Bock, but more theological reflection that pastors will appreciate.Acts (NIVAC) by Ajith Fernando (link goes to Amazon using exact ISBN); this volume offers good exegetical and theological analysis, but more application discussion than Bock or Peterson.As an Amazon Affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Let me close with a couple of questions: What are your preferred commentaries on Acts? Witherington also wrote the Mark commentary in this series. This commentary is best for expository preachers, Bible college and seminary students, church elders and teachers, and experienced Bible readers. Please use the list below as a starting point for learning about Acts commentaries. Like the other volumes in this series, it is somewhat technical. Acts is the second book in the history that Luke wrote. This commentary is best for expository preachers, Bible college and seminary students, church elders and teachers, and experienced Bible readers. Please click HERE to sign up to receive our free e-newsletter. D.A. 1 of 2. Peterson also wrote the Romans commentary in the BTCP series. See more about the New International Commentary on the New Testament series. Web Page by Bryn MacPhail . Thomas. *** Want to see a list of all the nine best commentaries for every book of the Bible? Calmet's Bible Dictionary. Ezekiel. Pohill takes an evangelical approach to Scripture. He is Baptist. The publisher notes that “the name Hermeneia, from the Greek, has a rich background in the history of biblical interpretation as a term for the detailed, systematic exposition of a scriptural work. Also see Best Bible Commentary Series: The Top 50. This volume is well-reviewed for pastoral use because of its exposition and theological clarity. Get this book on Christian Book using its exact ISBN.if(typeof __ez_fad_position != 'undefined'){__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-bestbiblecommentaries_com-medrectangle-3-0')}; • D. A. Carson: a “best buy” on Acts; “a thorough and competent commentary”. 1,437 likes. John MacArthur; Mid-Level. He is Reformed. This *Greek name means ‘someone who loves God’. Bock takes an evangelical approach to Scripture. He then considers the kind of history writing that we find in the narrative of Acts, delineates the book’s theological teaching, and offers bibliographic comments on sources and selected studies.”, ActsPaideia Commentary on the New Testamentby Mikeal C. Parsons. Theology, Audience, and Purpose: This commentary is best for expository preachers, Bible college and seminary students, church elders and teachers, and experienced Bible readers. See more about the Tyndale New Testament Commentary series. This commentary is best for expository preachers, Bible college and seminary students, church elders and teachers, and experienced Bible readers. He is Reformed. He was Reformed (d. 2017). Best Resources on Ac It’s not necessarily because they have received poor reviews or because people haven’t found them helpful. Readers are encouraged to consider the volumes in this section before making a purchase. April 15, 2013 #disabilities #reformation #reformed theology #reviews. Acts Devotionals 2. bestbiblecommentaries.com helps readers find the right study resources to learn and understand Scripture. This commentary is best for scholars and academics. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I wrote this short, fast-paced, practical guide to productivity to share what I have learned about getting things done in today’s digital world. Theology, Audience, and Purpose: Pervo takes a critical approach to Scripture. The NAC series is very “pastor friendly” and is a good aid to expository preaching. ACTS: THE EARLY CHURCH'S WITNESS OF THE GOSPEL. Not only that, but it is regarded as one of the very best works on the book. About this series, Dr. Sproul wrote, “The dear saints who sit under my preaching encouraged me to give my sermons a broader hearing. This volume is best for readers who can follow a technical commentary. Theology, Audience, and Purpose: Schnabel is an evangelical Christian who has taught at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School and Gordon-Conwell. “The fruit of two decades of study, these two volumes offer acute and thought-provoking comments, many of them theological, on almost every page.” Unfortunately the volumes may be difficult to track down. The cover image above shows the abridged version. This commentary is best for individual study, devotional reading, Bible studies, and adult Sunday school classes. The reasons vary: The “Top 10” list is reviewed annually. Commentaries for the book of Acts. Bible commentaries and Bible study tools by Dr. Bob Utley, Professor of Bible Interpretation. Barrett takes a critical approach to Scripture. Larkin highlights early Christian missions in this commentary. Kent Hughes’ volume in the Preaching the Word series would also be a good choice (Amazon, Westminster Books). The publisher notes that commentaries in the PNTC series combine “rigorous exegesis and exposition, with an eye alert both to biblical theology and the contemporary relevance of the Bible.”. Marshall takes an evangelical approach to Scripture. This commentary is best for expository preachers, Bible college and seminary students, church elders and teachers, and experienced Bible readers. Acts 4 Resources. F. F. Bruce, New International Commentary on the New Testament (NICNT), Eerdmans, 1988, 564 pp. Thomas takes an evangelical approach to Scripture. Philippians. The commentaries linked to on this page differ widely in their quality and usefulness for different purposes. The publisher notes that the ZECNT series was “refined over time by an editorial board who listened to pastors and teachers express what they wanted to see in a commentary series based on the Greek text.”. These 10 are not in any particular order. This commentary is best for expository preachers, Bible college and seminary students, church elders and teachers, and experienced Bible readers. This commentary is best for individual study, devotional reading, Bible studies, and adult Sunday school classes. Likewise, David G. Peterson’s Acts volume ranks among the best Acts commentaries across the spectrum. — Acts 1-14, Acts 15-28 (International Critical Commentary, 2004). Acts 2, Coffman Commentaries on the Bible, One of over 110 Bible commentaries freely available, this commentary, by the leading authority in the Church of Christ, presents a verse level look at the Bible. Theology, Audience, and Purpose: Pohill takes an evangelical approach to Scripture. Douay Rheims Study Bible. Ephesians. ActsBaker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testamentby Darrell L. Bock. It also comments on individual verses and deals with problems of interpretation.”. These 10 are not in any particular order. —Nouvelle Revue Theologique, July/September 2001 . Please read: The “Top 10” list below is a starting point for learning about Acts commentaries. Baldwin contributed several commentaries … Biblical Commentaries Online. It’s received raved reviews for its insights into cultural background and mastery of source material. I studied them and then began my collection on the basis of what the experts told me. A list of the best commentaries on Acts ranked by scholars, journal reviews, and site users. (Amazon, Westminster Books), Ben Witherington III – The Acts of the Apostles. Diatessaron. Carson points out that until a few years ago we were underserved by commentaries on Acts, but that this has been remedied in recent years. (Amazon), Darrell Bock – Acts (Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament). Stott also wrote the Ephesians commentary in the same series, which is considered one of the. Catégories. John Romans. Marshall is well-known for his 1-2 Peter commentary in the IVPNTC series, which is considered one of the best 1-2 Peter commentaries available today. This commentary is best for expository preachers, Bible college and seminary students, church elders and teachers, and experienced Bible readers. Reviews and Accolades:if(typeof __ez_fad_position != 'undefined'){__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-bestbiblecommentaries_com-sky-1-0')}; • Tom Schreiner: recommended; “a brief exposition for pastors and scholars”, • Keith Mathison: #5 ranked commentary on Acts; “simple to read without being simplistic in content”. But it also had great informal preaching, which is often the best kind. RSS. However, we do not feel this is the best method for using the Blue Letter Bible. Revelation. 1 Peter. Bruce, Get this book on Christian Book using its exact ISBN.if(typeof __ez_fad_position != 'undefined'){__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-bestbiblecommentaries_com-large-mobile-banner-1-0')};if(typeof __ez_fad_position != 'undefined'){__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-bestbiblecommentaries_com-large-mobile-banner-1-0_1')}; .large-mobile-banner-1-multi-123{border:none !important;display:block !important;float:none;line-height:0px;margin-bottom:15px !important;margin-left:0px !important;margin-right:0px !important;margin-top:15px !important;min-height:250px;min-width:250px;padding:0;text-align:center !important;}, • Tom Schreiner: recommended; “a lucid commentary”, • Keith Mathison: #2 commentary on Acts; “one of the best commentaries on this book of Scripture”. Theology, Audience, and Purpose: Bruce takes an evangelical approach to Scripture. The publisher notes that the REC series has “four fundamental commitments. Do you want to take your understanding of the book of Acts to the next level? Less than $60, for example, puts the Anchor Yale Bible: Epistles of John in your Logos library. The right Bible commentary on Acts will help give you insight and understanding. I work in a small office in a small church. He is Reformed. They are not suggested as a replacement for, Nevertheless, a list based on aggregate reviews is likely to, • Tom Schreiner: recommended; “an excellent and clear commentary”. Please see best Mark commentaries for more. ActsUnderstanding the Bible Commentary Seriesby David J. Williams. All content © Tim Challies, 2002-2021. He is Arminian. View Acts 13:1-3. if(typeof __ez_fad_position != 'undefined'){__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-bestbiblecommentaries_com-large-mobile-banner-2-0')}; ActsNew American Commentaryby John B. Polhill, • Tom Schreiner: recommended; “invaluable and clear exposition for pastors and scholars”. Theology, Audience, and Purpose: Thomas takes an evangelical approach to Scripture. Series Introduction: I live in a small house. Because this is a volume in the reader-friendly TNTC series, it will make an excellent choice for the casual reader. All dispensationalists view the dispensations as chronologically successive. Acts is also the bridge that will help you understand the Gospels and the Letters of Paul better than ever. Genesis. Best Commentary Set. Carson: “straightforward prose, great learning, and impressive bibliography”. Ambrosiaster on Paul's Letters- Latin. Darrell L. Bock (BECNT) C.K. Fitzmyer also wrote the 1 Corinthians commentary in the same series. Links updated August 2011. Non class é (3) Tags. Fernando also wrote the Deuteronomy commentary in the Preaching the Word series. Acts of the Apostles. C.K. See more about the Pillar New Testament Commentary series.if(typeof __ez_fad_position != 'undefined'){__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-bestbiblecommentaries_com-mobile-leaderboard-1-0')}; After browsing the commentaries below, also see the best one-volume bible commentaries, based on aggregate reviews. If you cannot find Barrett, Bock appears to be the place to begin. View Acts 1. Some are relatively new and haven’t been widely reviewed, read, or used yet. Peterson takes an evangelical approach to Scripture. Bruce is well-known for his Hebrews commentary in the same series, which is considered one of the. Acts 1. There are some indications that Paul taught for several hours a day, and some six days a week. It’s been almost two calendar years and over 60 sermons. Bruce is well-known for his Hebrews commentary in the same series, which is considered one of the best Hebrews commentaries. First, these commentaries aim to be biblical… Second, these commentaries are unashamedly doctrinal… Third, these commentaries are redemptive-historical… Fourth, these commentaries are practical…”. Filter by. Longenecker is known for his Galatians commentary in the WBC series, which is considered one of the best Galatians commentaries. This work is equally outstanding.” He points out, though, that the reader may become confused if he does not have at least some basic knowledge of Greek. • Desiring God: #1 recommended commentary on Actsif(typeof __ez_fad_position != 'undefined'){__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-bestbiblecommentaries_com-netboard-1-0')}; • Tom Schreiner: recommended; “a helpful and brief exposition for the busy pastor”.

Aurélie Dotremont Couple Footballeur, Anita Prénom Pays, Sift Stripes Group, Salaire D'un Expert Automobile, Faut Changer De Chemin, Blague Bigard Corse,

No Comments

Post a Comment

Comment
Name
Email
Website